The Well, Part 2

Author: R. Fast / Labels:

I awoke to the sing song call of the morning birds. A soft breeze rustled my sheets as I stretched the sleep from my body. I couldn't remember every having opened my bedroom windows but I felt no sense of panic. I was calm, happy, and relaxed, ready to start my day anew. My previous day seemed so far away, yet so hauntingly close. I pushed the thought from my mind as the smell of coffee and cinnamon drifted up through my bedroom door. The thought of my mother entered my mind, she must be visiting, why else would I smell breakfast.

I pulled on my robe and headed down stairs hoping to great my mother, yet all that I could find was a full coffee pot and warm sticky rolls on the table. I felt a little uneasy, as I never new my coffee pot had an automatic feature, let alone me ordering breakfast as delivery. I feverishly checked all of the doors and windows and found nothing out of the ordinary. How odd.

I drank the coffee despite it's mysterious presence and ate a little of the warm sweet treat left by my mysterious visitor. Wasting enough time I realized I was going to be late for work and trudged my way to the car, dreading the usual stop and go of the morning rush. I climbed in and shut the door behind me, turned the ignition, and backed out of my driveway, careful not to hit anymore bikes. I had just shifted into drive when I remembered that I hadn't driven home that previous evening. I thrust the car into park and leapt from it in haste. Something very strange was going on, but not in an evil nor malevolent way, at least I didn't think.

I cautiously climbed back in and put the car back into gear, heading towards the interstate. The traffic was rather light and I noticed one one lane had been added on the left. Late night road construction? How very unlikely I was sure. In an almost frantic sense of panic I almost veered off the road as I remembered not bringing my briefcase. Yet low and behold it sat peacefully in the back seat, my rather clean looking report peaking out from inside.

I drove the rest of the way in shock. Not catching a single light nor meeting any form of congestion. It all seemed like a dream, good yet strange. I entered the office with almost five minutes to spare, a new record for me. By the look of things the construction and stopped and my boss had thoughtfully left a not excusing me from my project, what a relief. It seemed I had the morning free and, still being in shock, I decided to take the opportunity to relax and gather my thoughts.

I took the elevator down to the front lobby and walked about a block to a quaint little coffee shop I had always meant to visit but could never find the time. I ordered a coffee and a paper and sat in the back to avoid any passing glances. The news seemed rather unremarkable accept for the ad.

I had been looking for an original copy of an 18th century book that had once been in my grandparents attic and had been mistakenly sold at auction. There, in bold print at the bottom of the page, was the book I had spent so many sleepless nights searching for. I reached into my pocket for a piece of paper to write the number on. I pulled out a small square piece and unfolded it quickly. I began writing when I noticed that the numbers on the paper began matching up to the article next to the ad. 1, 14, 29, 34...it was then that I realized I was holding a lottery ticket. 35, 46 and finally, for the coup de grĂ¢ce, 52. I stared at the page, tempted to pinch myself, it must be a joke. A cruel joke fashioned by those evel imps that I worked with. I snatched up the paper and headed for the office ready to explode. I was angry, no, furious. What kind of idiot did they take me for?

I took the stairs this time, eying everyone I passed cautiously. I was waiting for that right moment, to confront their little ring leader face to face. I opened the door just when it happened.

"Jenkins. You're fired!" My arch nemesis was gathering his gear into a box with his head hung low. My boss stood behind him waving, what appeared to be, evidence to the Walter's scandal. Someone had been tipping the scales in their favor, and the truth had finally come out. I had suspected him for the longest time, but never thought he'd get caught. I turned and left quietly, opening the paper to look back at the numbers. How could it be a joke? Our company didn't have that kind of connections. I decided to test my faith and turn in the ticket. I walked back out into the warm morning air. It seemed a new day had begun. But just how long would this little good luck streak go on?

There was only one way to find out.

To be continued...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely, positively, your best work yet. I LOVE IT!!!