The Well

Author: R. Fast / Labels:


I was having one of those days, you know, where almost everything seems to go wrong. I almost lit the house on fire this morning trying to put out the toaster with my weekly expense report. Then I ran over the neighbor kids new bike, much to the annoyance of his parents (they hate me). Rush hour seemed longer than usual as I was stuck behind a semi burning oil. I spilled my coffee on the last remaining hint of paperwork I needed to turn in in order to keep my job and they were doing construction right outside my office window until three, and I get out at four. So don't take this the wrong way when I say that I was moments away from jumping off of the nearest bridge.

However, it all changed when I found that well. After having my car towed for missing tags I decided to walk home and forgo trying to call a cab. Feeling my luck was at the end of it's rope I opted for a nice stroll through the park rather than taking the main drag back to my house. It was a couple miles down the path and hidden behind a cluster of flowering bushes, it seemed a little unkempt to say the least. It was surrounded by plants and flowers and covered in vines. It smelled a little like rotted moss and cold water. I spied a small stone bench hidden amongst some ivy and decided to hide myself from the world, at least for a while.


I sat and listened to the breeze and the birds for some time, fumbling in my pockets as I imagined the horror of the rest of my evening. Would my house still be there? What else could possible go wrong? Without further thinking I grasped the loose change in my pocket, started for the well and tossed it in. I could hear it ringing off the cold stone and plunking hard into the still water. A strong cool breeze blew up and ruffled my hair as I sighed and turned to leave. I wished for a perfect day, no, a perfect life,one without misfortune, sorrow, or discomfort.

I took the long way home, happy to find my house still standing. The night had grown cold but, miraculously, I had managed to turn the furnace on at some point in my morning struggle. It felt cozy and reassuring to be home. I dropped my things and hobbled off to bed. Once there the day seemed to fall away like dead skin. The bed felt warm and soft and I almost felt like I was sinking into it. As I drifted off to sleep that moment at the well echoed through my mind. I heard the soft plinking of the coins hitting the water once more and every trouble lifting away as I fell into a deep slumber.

To Be Continued...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that you found a great way to shed the day. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a gift to find that spot! I am amazed and awed that you made it through that day...I think the bridge would have sounded AWFULLY good to me at that point.

Thanks for stopping by my blog...I will be back to read more of yours!

:-)