The Sixth Grade Trip

Author: R. Fast / Labels:


I remember watching them go when I was just a first grader. Off on the sixth grade Grand Rapids trip. So in awe over the fact that their parents let them go on a trip alone. Now it was my turn, sitting in English class, the teacher handing out crisp white permission slips. They floated down the rows of desks like little golden tickets of freedom.

I remember getting home, overly excited about my new fantastic news. "Your not going," my dad's voice seemed to echo. I felt a sinking hole of disappointment well up in my stomach. It was all about it being co-ed. I knew it. I broke the news to my English teacher the next day. Her outward display of dismay took me off guard completely. She told me she's speak with my parents and see what she could do and I felt a glimmer of hope form on the horizon.

It took nearly three whole months to get him to say yes. I remember sitting in the cafeteria and my dad coming in and giving me the news. That renewed sense of joy had returned. I hardly knew what to do. I panicked. It occurred to me just then that the trip was scheduled for that weekend. I had hardly any time to prepare. And he was going to be there.

Oh, about the he. His name was Micheal (or Mike for short). He had, by far, the biggest ears I had ever seen on a person. But, when he smiled, he just looked so darn cute! Yes, he'd be there and I was hoping to win his affections.

The morning of the trip started all wrong. I didn't find the matching shirt to my shorts until the last minute. I had to wait at my parents work until it was time for the bus to leave, and then there was Eric. The biggest nerd in our entire grade. Crooked teeth with oddly angled braces, a constant runny nose, and has terrible sense of style. Sadly his aunt worked with my parents, meaning I had to ride to the school with him. I was mortified, completely humiliated. Fortunately, that was the least of my worries.

We arrived at the school with little to no teasing, so I felt pretty confident that my day was turning round. The ride down even went pretty well. It didn't all turn sour until it was time to go for a swim. The hotel we were staying at had an awesome indoor pool. Now mind you there are over 30 of us students to monitor, and not everyone was guaranteed to act their age. I excitedly changed into my new suit, I had painstakingly searched for the perfect one. It made me feel pretty and a shoe in for Mike's heart.

My friends and I made it down to the pool and set up residence on the shallow end steps. My confidence lasted until the prettiest girl in school, Sara, walked in. It looked like she had done a lot of growing up this past year, while it looked that I had not. She looked fabulous in her suit, and I was terribly envious and self conscious.

I sat, secretly watching Mike play volleyball,for quite some time. Suddenly, and without warning, Sara was standing right there. Seems in my laps of perception one of the teachers had shown up next to our group and Sara just had to talk to her. I caught her snide looks and the giggling of her friends behind her as she whispered to them. I know they were laughing at us. For the cherry on top of the proverbial cake, I turn to see Mike and his friends looking this way. I knew they saw it to.

When the teachers finally ended 'pool time', we were all hustled off to our rooms to change for a nice dinner out. I had picked out the cutest dress I could find, I knew I looked great. I hoped I still had a chance to salvage what chances I had left. Dinner was fabulous and he even sat at my table! Right across from me to be exact, I felt my heart stop every time I caught a glance. Our teachers had chosen one of the Japanese restaurants where they cooked the food right in front of you. Interesting but very very messy. The chef had been showing us awesome tricks while he grilled us some shrimp. When each one had finished cooking he would toss it into the closest waiting mouth. It soon became my turn and I tried to refuse, yet peer pressure got the best of me and I figured I'd give it a shot. I opened my mouth, tilted my had a little and closed my eyes. I heard the spatula and braced myself. Splat.

I feel the heat from the shrimp smack into my stomach. The thin silk of my dress soaking up the grease greedily. I scooped it up and dropped it onto my plate as fast as I could and looked up. He was laughing at me. I wanted to crawl off and hide. We finished our dinner and took a fabulous tour of some famous mansion downtown. We had to wear little paper slippers and it smelled like moth balls had been used to paint the walls. After we finished our little history lesson we were shuttled off to late night ice cream before our return the the hotel. It was a bit too cold for ice cream, but the teachers managed to get a place to open just for us. Everything went great, although I didn't really spend any time wooing my crush. I was more than ready to call it a night and prepare for the next day.


My sleep was restless, my roommate had fallen sick and I was stuck with the Librarian. A woman who snores to awful loud and coughed nearly to much. I was glad to see the light of the morning. After a continental breakfast we headed out for some museum hopping. It was fun, with hardly a sight of him the whole day. We had pizza delivered to the hotel and I was allowed to bunk with a few of my friends. We had a blast staying up late and watching the latest drama unfold on the walkway outside our door. Seemed some boys had walked in on Sara changing. What a laugh. The sleep was great and I felt I was renewed for the ride home.

We left early, I got a seat across from Mike. My best friend Mary served as my wingman as I made my last attempt to gain his attention. The first five minutes were great. We ignored him and he ignored us, in the typical sixth grade manor. Jessica M. was sitting in front of us, a snotty girl who just happened to be the Superintendents Daughter. Noticing how close I was to Mike sparked her vicious teasing. It escalated as time wore on, the bus ride home started to feel too long. After some time his friends joined in the fun. They teased about everything, what I wore, what he wore, his ears, and even the dreaded subject...my crush.

He denied liking me, not wanting to be poked at by his friends any longer. I was so angry. Public rejection turned out to hurt far worse than private humiliation. One of the teachers stepped in after the volume of the antics rose to an unnerving level. Now with silence I caught a glimpse from him, I found what little courage I had and decided to make that leap. I told him I liked him and how I'd love to be his girlfriend. He resisted, of course. I let it go with that final blow and sat quietly for the next hour. A few miles from the school he called my name. I looked over shocked as he, in a very hushed mumbled voice, asked me to be his girlfriend. After all that happened that weekend I finally came out on top. He let me sit with him for the rest of the ride, and I got to say goodbye to him, it was amazing.

Our little 'relationship' didn't last. We grew bored with each other and mutually agreed to break up. I still remember what his mom told me at one of his football games. She had told me that he kept a photo of me on the fridge, and said good morning to it every day. How sweet is that.

0 comments: